“Opposition forces” are smearing Beijing’s warnings about the upcoming “patriots only” Legislative Council elections, Chief Executive John Lee has said.

Speaking at a regular press conference on Tuesday, the chief executive said “anti-China elements” and external forces had attempted to obstruct the Legislative Council (LegCo) polls scheduled on December 7.
Lee’s comment came days after the top Beijing office overseeing Hong Kong affairs warned of “interference and destruction by anti-China forces” in the race.
The Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office (HKMAO) in Beijing issued a commentary on WeChat last Friday. The commentary warned of “false claims” that Beijing had meddled with the elections and that it had a list of “endorsed candidates.”
After that, “opposition forces” attempted to “frame [Beijing]’s concern and attention as interference,” Lee said.
“The [Beijing] central government has every right to pay attention to and be concerned with the new LegCo, as it will preside over a critical period for Hong Kong’s future development,” Lee said in Cantonese.
Lawmakers who said they would opt out of December’s race have had their reasons for not seeking re-election ‘distorted,’ with some suggesting they were pressured to leave office, Lee said.
Critics “fabricated various limitations [in the LegCo race] under different names and a so-called ‘endorsement list’ to discredit the new electoral system,” Lee claimed, without going detail.

To date, 28 lawmakers have said they would not seek re-election in December’s race, including all 12 who are in their seventies.
Local media previously reported on rumours circulating in Hong Kong’s political circle about an age limit for the next LegCo term that will exclude candidates aged 70 and above.
Lee warned that authorities would take swift action against any illegal acts that obstruct the race.
He also said he would send a letter to all government workers on Tuesday, urging them to lead by example and vote on December 7.
When asked if the government has a desired voting rate, Lee said authorities would only strive to create an atmosphere that would be conducive to voting.
In March 2021, Beijing passed legislation to ensure “patriots” govern Hong Kong. The move reduced democratic representation in the legislature, tightened control of elections and introduced a pro-Beijing vetting panel to select candidates. Authorities say the overhaul ensures the city’s stability and prosperity. But the changes also prompted international condemnation, as much of the traditional opposition remains behind bars, in self-exile or has quit politics.
During the last legislative elections in 2021, voter turnout was 30.2 per cent – the lowest in the history of LegCo elections since the former British colony was returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
Since then, the number of registered voters in Hong Kong has dropped for four straight years, with the latest figure standing at over 4.13 million this year. In 2021, there were 4.47 million registered voters, the highest in history.













